Double Exposure Blackjack Rules and Gameplay
Just like the regular online blackjack, double exposure is usually played with between six and eight decks of cards placed in a shoe. The object of the game remains the same as with all blackjack variations: get as close to 21 as possible without busting and end up with a better hand than the dealer.
Card values are counted as usually:
- 10s and all face cards: 10
- Aces: 1 or 11
- Other cards: their face value
The game begins with the dealer dealing two cards to the player(s) and two cards to himself. Both of his cards are dealt face up so the player has a full knowledge what he is up against. Based on the dealer’s hand and his own holdings, player can then decide to:
- Hit (ask for another card)
- Stand (pass the action on to the dealer)
- Split or double (explained in more detail below)
Just like in the regular game variation, once all players at the table are done with their respective hands, dealer will draw his cards and, if he doesn’t go over 21 (bust), all hands are compared and payouts are made accordingly.
Special Double Exposure Blackjack Rules
The game played with the both dealer’s cards exposed and using all traditional blackjack rules would be hugely in favour of the player. Thus, there are some special rules in place to make sure the edge still stays on the side of the house. In fact, the house edge in the double exposure is somewhat greater than in the standard blackjack game, but the game is still among the most profitable variations if played correctly.
- First and foremost, all blackjacks (naturals) are paid just 1 to 1. In the traditional game, you would receive 3 to 2 payment.
- Secondly, dealer wins on all pushes (ties). If both you and the dealer are showing 18, for example, the dealer will win. The only exception is when both hands are blackjacks, when the push stands.
- Players can only split once
- Dealer must draw on 16 and stand on 17
- Doubling may or may not be allowed after the split
With these rules in place, the casino will keep their edge. If you are properly using the basic strategy, the house will only have 0.66% – 1.47% edge, depending on specific rules in place (e.g. if the player is allowed to double whenever he wants or only on certain combos).
Double Exposure Playing Tips
Here are a few guidelines to help you win more cash playing double exposure blackjack:
- Make sure to follow the basic strategy. Although the basic strategy is the bread and butter of blackjack players in general, it is even more important when playing double exposure because of the very specific table dynamics.
- Make sure to fully understand specific house rules. Although the game uses a general set of rules for the most part, some casinos introduce special rules that can either favor a player or go against him. For example, can you double the bet on any two cards? Does the dealer have to hit on soft 17? Can you double after the split?
- Find a casino that offers a decent bonus and lets you use the money at the double exposure blackjack tables. Not all of them do, so make sure to read and fully understand rules and requirements before starting to play.
Advantages & Disadvantages
Although the house edge in the double exposure blackjack is somewhat greater than in the traditional game variation, it is still one of the most profitable casino games to play – provided you know what you are doing. Sticking to basic strategy, with small tweaks to adjust for the fact you know the both dealer’s cards, should help you get along nicely.
You should definitely check our recommended Canadian online casinos to find places with the most favourable player conditions. Good house rules will add to your winning odds and, when combined with proper strategy, can really help your chances.
On the flip side, double exposure blackjack can be a bit dull. With the biggest payment being just 1 to 1, even on blackjacks, there isn’t much to get excited about. If you are looking to get your gamble up, this is probably not the best game to play.
Double exposure is a great choice for patient and methodical players willing to take time to learn and then apply their knowledge at the tables without rushing things. This kind of approach should result in slowly growing your bankroll, especially when combined with online casino bonuses, but this game will not bring you a windfall of cash overnight.